Monday, June 2, 2008

Found Photo

Fellow tech-geeks, I share this photo (click to see it larger) of a 1GB storage disk that looks to have been made by IBM (*squints to read the description card*). Oh, look, someone is also holding a same capacity 1GB SD Card in comparison! I'd like to find out when that monster was made. It never ceases to amaze me how far we've come, and how far we're going to go with technology. They now have external hard drives in the Terabyte capacity.

I remember the transition from 5.25" floppy disks to 3.5" floppy disks (which held ~1.47MB) in the 90's. How many of us remember the pains of labeling all the dozens of disks we had, forgetting to flip that "lock" switch, getting the disk read errors, ugh. I find it interesting we still use the image of that 3.5" floppy as the "Save" icon in all programs. Will that icon ever go away, considering we haven't used those in years? Will it be replaced by an image of a CD/DVD?

In this era of personal computing, storage is key, and it's hard to imagine that we used to never keep digital copies of our photos, music, movies on our computers. Where do we go from here? Sound off in the comments if you have any ideas, dreams, etc.

1 comment:

Lena said...

when I started college in 1995 I had never sent an email in my life! Now I have a phone that can do more than my college Mac could. It's easy to get addicted to the fun gadgets, but sometimes I think maybe we'd be better off (or at least just happier) living life at a slower pace.....

p.s. but I'm not giving up the phone ;)